Thanksgiving might be over, but your kitchen’s work is not yet done. Keep it running smoothly well into the New Year by adhering to these tips:
- Avoid putting stringy and fibrous waste — like meat skins and banana peels — into your garbage disposal. They can’t easily be broken down, and should therefore be thrown in the trash.
- Never pour cooking grease and oil down the drain. This will go a long way in preventing clogs.
- Freshen your garbage disposal with ice cubes and lemon or orange rinds. Nobody likes a smelly sink!
- Don’t over-stuff the area beneath your kitchen sink. Doing so can lead to leaks, and all that clutter will make them more difficult to detect.
- Always address plumbing problems before holiday guests arrive. A plumbing emergency is always more disastrous when there’s company.
- Know how to shut off water to all water-using appliances. Should there be an issue, you’ll save yourself a lot of money and cleanup.
- Perform regular maintenance on your water conditioning system. This is especially important when it comes to drinking water.
- Don’t wash dishes by hand! Use your dishwasher to save hot water and energy. Be sure to fill it up all the way for optimal savings.
Adhere to these guidelines for a smooth-running kitchen — this holiday season and beyond! If you find yourself with a plumbing problem, reach out to Plumbing Medic. Our phones are answered 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year for emergencies!