Your HVAC system’s air filter is the last line of defense between the outdoor allergens and your indoor air. They catch and filter dust mites, pollen, and other allergens from the air so that you can be more comfortable in your home, but are you using the right filter? Are you spending too much? These are all questions we can handle for you right here at Plumbing & A/C Medic, Inc.:
Level 1: Fiberglass Filters
- These are the cheapest and most common air filters on the market.
- They tend to cost about $1-2 apiece and they remove 15% or more of the particles from the air.
- They need to be changed every 30-90 days depending on how often you are using them.
- Pro tip — You are using them a lot here in the Valley, so they need to be changed more frequently!
Level 2: Pleated Filters
- Like most things, as the cost of filters rises, so does their efficacy.
- These tend to cost about $10 a piece and they remove about half of the pollutants and allergens from the air.
- These need to be changed more frequently because they are catching more of the particles from the air.
- These range inefficiency and the more pleats per foot that a filter has, the better it is at removing pollutants.
Level 3: High-Efficiency Filters
- These are the best filters you are going to find for a residential HVAC system.
- The cheapest high-efficiency filter you are going to find on the market is about $15-20.
- They remove up to 85% of the allergens from your home and are great for families that have to deal with asthma.
- You should be changing these filters every 30-60 days because of everything they are taking from the air.
Level 4: HEPA Filters
- These filters are not necessarily practical for residential HVAC use.
- They are super effective at removing allergens, but they could also restrict too much air for a residential central air system.
- They remove around 98% of the allergens in your home.
- Since HEPA filters can become quickly clogged with dirt and dust, they can cause your system to overheat if not replaced frequently enough.
Efficiency and high-quality air can both be achieved if you are mindful of your HVAC maintenance. Your regularly scheduled HVAC maintenance from Plumbing & A/C Medic, Inc. is important, but you will also need to monitor your filters in between appointments.