The summer season is in full swing! Are you planning on throwing a BBQ with friends and family this year? Like any good host, you’ll want to make sure that everything runs smoothly. So in addition to planning the menu — you’ll also want to keep in mind that not all of your summer favorites are plumbing-friendly. These are a few cookout favorites you’ll want to keep out of your drains.
Keep These Foods Away From Your Drains:
- Corn Cobs – Corn cobs are too tough for your garbage disposal. Throw them in the trash, instead!
- Corn Husks – Stringy corn husks can wrap around your garbage disposal blades, causing the blades to stop spinning.
- Rib Bones – Any animal bones from your cookout can bend and damage your disposal blades.
- Oily Salad Dressing – Oils make look like a liquid, but they can actually cause problems with your plumbing system.
- Peach Pits – Hard fruit pits can damage your garbage disposal blades.
- Celery – If you’re adding celery to your next summer salad, be sure to throw away any scraps in the trash. Celery is a stringy and fibrous vegetable that can wrap around your disposal blades.
- Potatoes – Throwing together your world-famous potato salad? Don’t put the scraps down the drain! Potatoes are starchy vegetables. When wet, they will expand in your plumbing pipes and cause problems with sink drainage.
If you run into any plumbing problems during your next summer bbq, do not hesitate to reach out to our professionals here at Plumbing & A/C Medic, Inc.!
Contact our office by giving us a call at (602) 975-2306.